Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bittersweet Symphony

Who is a best friend? What is a best friend made of?

When I was young, a best friend for me was probably someone, who I was very fond of and would share his/her lunch with me at school. When I was younger, my best friends were Captain Planet and Swat Kats. Maybe, it still holds true for some of us.

Throughout the year, loads of short messages do the rounds on our phones, highlighting some aspect of friendship or the other. Some are nice, some are flattering, some are naive and some are stupid and downright hilarious. They all seem to point out that friendship is the best thing going for the insecure psyche.

However, a best friend is hard to find, difficult to identify and tough to hold on to. They cannot be pointed out. They are like the moonlight. They are there during the bright times, silent and diluted, but ever present with you, but also shining their light in the dark times. And no amount of analysis can help you ever comprehend, what a best friend really is, until you get one. They are someone who can do what others wont even dream of doing for you. If on one hand it means standing by you when the whole world has turned its back on you, on the other hand, it means forcing you to give up your bad ways even if he or she knows that you may not see reason in it and take it otherwise.

One of the other things about best friends is, when they get hurt, whether it was because of you or someone/something else, you get hurt equally bad.
I think I was enormously stupid and unexplainably juvenile, to even have second thoughts about the idea of my best friend doing something wrong to me, just because someone else told me so. I mean she was my first real best friend. She still is. It took me two and half years to finally meet her. It took her even lesser to change me into someone desirable and definitely a much better human.

It hurt me a lot, to know that I was a part to the play that brought tears to her eyes. It was probably lesser than what she had to go through to wipe them. Especially for a person like her who has never cried before.

To her :

There is no way I can explain to you how sorry I am about what happened. I really am out of words.
The fact is, every other person, hears what I have to say. My friends listen to what I say. But you, know what I dont even say. And for that and everything else, you are my best friend in every sense of its own. I hope I can be one to you too. I know lost faith, even if it is little, is hard to get back, but I am truly sorry about everything.

All I want you to know is that if ever you are stranded in the middle of a desert, you can call on me and be sure that I will come and pick you up. Everytime you need me to.

2 comments:

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Rich in tribute....... over the years I've come to know that good friends are like rare gems..... they shine forever, are priceless and as you said, are extremely hard to find!!!

Wormy said...

"They are someone who can do what others wont even dream of doing for you." simply beautiful and straight from the heart.

I hope you make up with that friend of yours. Its seriously hard to find sucha frnd. Take care.