Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Single Question

So earlier in the day I was hanging out with my friend. We are both currently single and have been single for over a year. We were talking about our most recent crushes, or lack thereof, and the kind of talk that involves a teenage boy mind mostly revolving around girls. Or the lack of them. There was a strain of thought that constantly ran through my mind - "I just want someone to want me." Sounds familiar? I guess it runs on almost every straight, single person's mind.

It sounds pathetic doesn't it? It's not that I don't have any self-esteem. I am content with my looks, personality, intelligence, success, etc. yet when I'm alone in my own moments, I still long to go for quiet walks with that person, or share ice creams together, or have endless talks on the phone, or just to know that someone else out there is thinking of me before they go to sleep.

Why do you think it is that we feel the need to be needed by the opposite sex so badly? Do you think it is true that people in relationships are generally happier than single people because of this reason?

6 comments:

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Of course people in relationships are happier! And the longing to be wanted - is one of primitive kinds, the need for security and comfort emanating from another person!

Wormy said...

Well, it depends from person to person.
Some simply love being alone and think of relationships as a chore. They are better off single.
Some love to have 'someone' beside them in whatever they do. They wish to feel secure and believe they can face anything this way.

But seriously, wen u know someone cares for u and loves u immensely, the feeling is beautiful :)

Rakesh said...

very well written buddy...but as far as the statement and the feeling goes...i guess its more influenced by movies...where in its shows the imp of having a partner ...

or should i say a person who loves you

Jeet said...

Why do you think people in relationships are happier? I am not denying that they arent, but a lot of them arent too...even if they do look like the match made in heaven type of couple...why is that?

and maybe there's a reason why they show it in the movies...

Wormy said...

A Movie is created by a human mind. So, it would probably highlight the fantasies of a human mind. Some of the movies have a brutal climax whereas a majority have the so called 'happy-ending'.
Aah.. they finally depict the state of the mind. :) which again means it varies from person-to-person :)

The best thing one can do is.. "Enjoy your Present" :D

Jeet said...

Enjoy your present it is!